From the Philippine Information Agency:
After a very abrupt increase in the number of dengue cases in August, there is a significant decline of said cases this month.
Information Officer Jeoffry Espiritu of the Provincial Health Office disclosed that from 1,059 Capiceño dengue patients in August, the Capiz Epidemiological Surveillance and Response Unit has recorded only 115 cases from September 1 to 11 this year.
He explained that the record also showed that the number of cases far lower than those recorded in a two-week period last month.
Espiritu also revealed that from January 1 to September 1, 2010, the province has already recorded 2,665 dengue cases with 19 deaths.
Based on same record, the peak of dengue cases was noted in August followed by July and June with 896 and 280 cases, respectively.
He also revealed that dengue-carrying mosquitoes have attacked mostly children age 1 to 20 years old, though it afflicts all ages.
At the peak of the dengue epidemic here last month, Capiz Governor Victor Tanco led the launching of the “Oplan Kontra Dengue” which is aimed to institutionalize the Four o’clock daily cleanliness habit
Tanco pointed out that the daily cleanliness habit of every household in the entire province is a key to prevent and control the dengue epidemic here.
Prior to said launching, the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Capiz has placed the entire province under the state of calamity due to dengue epidemic.
The said declaration was also the basis of the province’s utilization of a portion of the calamity fund to immediately respond to the Capiceños needs, particularly on the prevention and control as well as monitoring activities.
Recently, the Department of Health has likewise launched its new strategy called DENGUE, where each letter represents an approach, namely, D for daily monitoring of patients, E-encourage oral intake of fluids, N-note any dengue warning signs likes bleeding, G-give paracetamol, not aspirin, U-use mosquito nets, and E-early consultation.